Dakar showcases groundbreaking spirit with pledge to start developing future of rally raids immediately
– The ambitious “DakarFuture” energy transition plan has 2 main planks: the engines running the cars and trucks in the competition and the emissions related to the strategies of the organisation
– By 2026, all the vehicles driven by Top notch competitors in the car and pickup truck categories of the Dakar will be susceptible to new ultra-low emission standards
– A historical check run of a sustainable bivouac happens here in NEOM. It is the initial step in a transformational project that seeks to create a bivouac 100% powered solely by renewable energy
Since its inception in 1979, the particular Dakar has never shied away from discovering uncharted territories, from the deserts associated with Africa to the vast landscapes associated with South America and the arid expanses from the Middle East. Since the rubber 1st hit the road back in the 1980s, the Dakar has continued to innovate without having to sacrifice its sense of adventure, enthusiasm for exploration and determination in order to push the limits. In the course of 43 editions, the most noteworthy developments possess led to a ban on GPS products to emphasise the role of routing —the life and soul associated with rally raids— as well as engine shift limits. An unparalleled set of safety precautions has been developed and expanded within the decades, leveraging the technological advancements that have led to the use of Iritrack devices, SARSAT beacons, the Sentinel system and, starting this year, airbag vests for bikers.
The Dakar is now demonstrating its pioneering nature with a pledge to start building the ongoing future of rally raid without delay.
At a push conference held after stage nine of the 2021 edition in NEOM, the organisers set out the Dakar’s vision for fostering green development in the world of rally raids.
Redefining durability, NEOM’ s recent announcement associated with “THE LINE”, confirmed a town comprising carbon-positive urban developments driven by 100% clean energy, offering pollution-free, healthier and more sustainable conditions for residents. Mixed-use communities is going to be built around nature, instead of over the top of it.
The Dakar is launching the particular ambitious “ DakarFuture ” energy transition plan. This particular gradual energy transition has 2 main planks: the particular engines powering the cars and vehicles in the race and the emissions related to the logistics from the organisation .
The Dakar is decided to fully exploit its role being an open-air lab to stimulate, ensure that you validate the technical advances manufactured by the constructors in the knowledge the fact that race vehicles of today are the manufacturing vehicles of tomorrow.
These modifications will be introduced at a gradual yet steady pace:
- The moment 2022 , a specific “alternative energy” category will be created to put the concentrate on competitors racing in hybrid, electrical or hydrogen-powered cars and trucks, as well as people who implement other emission-slashing technologies. The particular sporting rules will be adjusted in order to strike the right balance and make certain every project is competitive.
- In 2026 , all top notch competitors in the car and vehicle categories of the Dakar will be needed to enter the race with vehicles that will meet new ultra-low emission specifications.
- After a few years, the development of these technologies is certainly expected to enable amateur competitors to acquire vehicles that meet the same specifications in order to sign up for the Dakar from 2030 . In 2030, both car and truck groups will fully be powered simply by alternative energy with zero emission.
Four ongoing projects chasing after this ambitious goal have been shown:
- Sven Quandt, TOP DOG of Q-Motorsport, the particular team running the cars for Audi Sport at the Dakar 2022 revealed a project to develop a fully electric automobile developed by Audi Sports activity .
- Green Corp Konnection’s CEO, Eric Boudot pledged to industry a hydrogen-powered car in the 2023 Dakar with GCK Motorsport.
- Cyril Despres plus Mike Horn find the same year to enter the competition with their own hydrogen-powered car, Gen-Z .
- Finally, Christophe Gaussin , CEO of Gaussin Group, uncovered the H2 Road Truck, the hydrogen-powered truck intended to be in the start line of the 2022 Dakar.
As important as it is, cultivating the evolution of the vehicles within the Dakar Rally will not be the only step forward in the use of clean energy resources.
Building on its financial assistance for an anti-deforestation programme in the Amazon . com since 2009 (as part of the carbon offset scheme) and its strenuous approach to waste management, the Dakar is poised to undertake a wide-ranging transformation project with a view to creating a bivouac 100 percent powered by renewable energy. A test run is being held simply of the bivouac of NEOM this season. Since two days, the press space, the briefing room screen as well as the Competitor and Official areas are usually powered by cutting-edge solar panel technologies that combines energy production, storage space and redistribution in one neat package deal. In the near future, it is the entire bivouac which will be concerned. Once again, the flame associated with innovation will burn bright in the Dakar to keep the adventure going.
- « The numerous technical freedoms offered by the Dakar Rally provide a perfect test lab for us in this particular respect. » MARKUS DUESMANN Chief of the Board of Management plus Board of Management Member pertaining to Technical Development and Product Lines on AUDI AG
- « GAUSSIN recognises itself within values like overcoming and enthusiastic commitment, that are reflected by the Dakar. Let’s be tomorrow’s adventurers » CRISTHOPHE GAUSSIN, CEO of Gaussin Team
- « The presentation of the GCK e-Blast 1 is the first stage towards what we believe to be the long term of rally-raid: hydrogen vehicles. » ERIC BOUDOT, TOP DOG of Green Corp Konnection
- « My twenty one st Dakar, alongside my friend Mike Horn, with this project that might better the world of motorsports. » CYRIL DESPRES