Dakar 2021 // Stage nine: First stage win for Stéphane Peterhansel
- Peterhansel extends his lead
- Three legs remaining
Stéphane Peterhansel and Edouard Boulanger (both FRA) not only had taken the stage win on lower-leg nine, around the city of Neom, however the MINI JCW Buggy crew furthermore managed to extend its overall prospect by twelve minutes. They right now lead upon second-placed Nasser Al-Attiyah by almost 18 minutes. Carlos Sainz and Lucas Cruz (both ESP) finished twelfth in the SMALL JCW Buggy after suffering specialized issues. Vladimir Vasilyev (RUS) plus Dmitry Tsyro (UKR) ended the particular stage in 15 th place in the SMALL JCW Rally.
Peterhansel and Boulanger were unbeatable these days. Although they had to open the route once again over the course of the stage, the resistance was unable to catch them. In contrast to many other competitors, they came continued to be puncture-free on a stage that was once again very stony in places. For Peterhansel it is the first phase win in this year’s Dakar, he’s held the overall lead since phase two. However , they must right now open the route on tomorrow’s phase.
Luck was not quietly of their team-mates Sainz and Jones. As well as a puncture, they also had difficulties with the brakes. However , they do nevertheless lie third in the overall rankings.
Stéphane Peterhansel: “That was a true Dakar stage: difficult navigation, difficult dunes – not only a question associated with speed, but also strategy. We understood it was going to be a long day time, which is why we did not go flat-out, but rather tried to manage the tires. In the end, we were able to overtake Carlos and Nasser. ”
Carlos Sainz: “This leg was even more difficult for me than it was for the other people. We had problems with the brakes. All of us tried to repair them, but got no brake fluid. So we can only finish the stage using a clear loss of time. ”
The Dakar 2021 can be moving slowly but surely towards its bottom line, with three legs remaining. The next day, the Dakar caravan moves to AlUla. The 342-kilometre stage will mostly happen on sandy routes.
Consequence of SS9
1 . S. Peterhansel (FRA) and E. Boulanger (FRA) – SMALL JCW Buggy – 4h 50m 27s
second . N. Al-Attiyah (QAT) / Mirielle. Baumel (FRA) – Toyota – 5h 02m 27s
3. G. De Villiers (RSA) / A. Haro (ESP) – Toyota – 5h 02m 46s
4. Y. Al-Rajhi (KSA) / D. von Zitzewitz (GER) – Toyota – 5h 03m 11
five. B. Baragwanath (RSA) / Big t. Perry (RSA) – Century – 5h 4m 18s
twelve. C. Sainz /ESP) / T. Cruz (ESP) – MINI JCW Buggy – 5h 12m 57
15. V. Vasilyev (RUS) / D. Tsyro (UKR) – MINI JCW Rally – 5h 18m 44s
21. G. Spinelli (BRA) or Y. Haddad (BRA) – SMALL ALL4 Racing – 5h 24m 33s
32. D. Krotov (RUS) and O. Uperenko (RUS) – SMALL JCW Rally – 5h 42m 20s
34. V. Khoroshavtsev (RUS) / A. Nikolaev (RUS) – MINI JCW Rally – 5h 45m 17s
Overall standings right after SS9
1 . S. Peterhansel (FRA) and E. Boulanger (FRA) – SMALL JCW Buggy – 34h 26m 16s
second . N. Al-Attiyah (QAT) / Mirielle. Baumel (FRA) – Toyota – 34h 44m 06s
3. C. Sainz /ESP) / L. Cruz (ESP) – MINI JCW Buggy – 35h 28m 41s
4. J. Przygonski (POL) or T. Gottschalk (GER) – Toyota – 36h 42m 46s
5. N. Roma (ESP) / A. Winocq (FRA) – Prodrive BRX Hunter – 37h 08m 54s
7. V. Vasilyev (RUS) / D. Tsyro (UKR) – MINI JCW Rally – 37h 36m 33s
15. G. Spinelli (BRA) / Y. Haddad (BRA) – MINI ALL4 Racing – 40h 15m 00s
26. V. Khoroshavtsev (RUS) and A. Nikolaev (RUS) – SMALL JCW Rally – 42h 27m 11s
31. D. Krotov (RUS) and O. Uperenko (RUS) – SMALL JCW Rally – 44h 38m 48s