Dakar 2021 // Phase six: Stage win for Carlos Sainz
- Peterhansel remains overall leader
- Rest day scheduled for the next day
Having been affected by misfortune for the last few days, Carlos Sainz and Lucas Cruz (both ESP) bounced back to claim the phase win in their MINI JCW Pushchair. Their team-mates Stéphane Peterhansel plus Edouard Boulanger (both FRA) completed fourth on the sixth leg, through Al Qaisumah to Hail. Vladimir Vasilyev (RUS) and Dmitry Tsyro (UKR) were ninth in their SMALL JCW Rally. They are within seventh place in the overall standings.
For almost the entire stage, Peterhansel was faster than his nearest rival for the overall victory, Nasser Al-Attiyah. However , he fell at the rear of the Qatari on the final couple of kilometres. Despite this, Peterhansel only conceded 18 seconds to his competitor and still leads by just short 6 minutes.
Due to specialized problems Orlando Terranova stopped soon after the start, aborted the sixth lower-leg and took the service path to Hail. The regulations do not allow Terranova to re-join the rally upon Sunday, bringing the Argentinean’s Dakar to some premature withdrawal.
Stéphane Peterhansel: “That was a very good week for us. We all did not make many mistakes as well as the MINI has been super. After the Prologue, I was afraid that I may not be fast enough. What Edouard is doing on his first Dakar is really amazing. ”
Carlos Sainz: “I was pleased with the stage win. All of us gave it all. Today’s leg has been on sandy routes and routing was not as difficult. Lukas and am could have done a better job in the initial week. We must now take a good hard look at so what happened. The Dakar seems to be following a various philosophy this year. ”
A rest day is scheduled for that competitors tomorrow. The teams uses the day to prepare the cars for 7 days two – particularly as the Dakar resumes on Sunday with the convention leg, which requires the motorists to get by without their groups in the evening.
Result of SS6
1 . D. Sainz /ESP) / L. Jones (ESP) – MINI JCW Pushchair – 3h 38m 27s
2 . Y. Al-Rajhi (KSA) / D. von Zitzewitz – Toyota – 3h 42m 30s
3. In. Al-Attiyah (QAT) / M. Baumel (FRA) – Toyota – 3h 45m 43
4. S. Peterhansel (FRA) or E. Boulanger (FRA) – SMALL JCW Buggy – 3h 46m 01s
five. J. Przygonski (POL) / Big t. Gottschalk (GER) – Toyota – 3h 52m 48s
ten. V. Vasilyev (RUS) / G. Tsyro (UKR) – MINI JCW Rally – 4h 04m 38s
14. G. Krotov (RUS) / O. Uperenko (RUS) – MINI JCW Move – 4h 08m 42s
21. G. Spinelli (BRA) / Y. Haddad (BRA) – MINI ALL4 Racing – 4h 18m 44s
thirty seven. V. Khoroshavtsev (RUS) / The. Nikolaev (RUS) – MINI JCW Rally – 5h 03m 58s
General standings after SS6
1 . S. Peterhansel (FRA) / E. Boulanger (FRA) – MINI JCW Buggy – 22h 14m 03s
2 . N. Al-Attiyah (QAT) / M. Baumel (FRA) – Toyota – 22h 19m 56s
3. Chemical. Sainz /ESP) / L. Jones (ESP) – MINI JCW Pushchair – 22h 54m 42s
4. J. Przygonski (POL) / T. Gottschalk (GER) – Toyota – 23h 25m 39s
5. In. Roma (ESP) / A. Winocq (FRA) – Prodrive – 23h 50m 58s
7. V. Vasilyev (RUS) / D. Tsyro (UKR) – MINI JCW Rally – 24h 19m 50s
14. G. Spinelli (BRA) / Y. Haddad (BRA) – MINI ALL4 Racing – 25h 19m 15s
27. V. Khoroshavtsev (RUS) and A. Nikolaev (RUS) – SMALL JCW Rally – 27h 17m 18s
35. D. Krotov (RUS) and O. Uperenko (RUS) – SMALL JCW Rally – 30h 23m 50s