Dakar 2021 // SS3: Peterhansel holds overall lead
- Third place on phase three for Peterhansel and Boulanger
- Guiga Spinelli coatings 13 th in the MINI ALL4 Racing
Leg three, across the Saudi town of Wadi Ad-Dawasir, posed another real test for that drivers and navigators. Frenchmen Stéphane Peterhansel and Edouard Boulanger had been consistently quick in the MINI JCW Buggy and finished third right after 403 kilometres against the clock. In late the third leg, which saw the particular competitors cover a total distance associated with 629 kilometres, the French pair nevertheless leads the overall standings. Their team-mates Carlos Sainz and Lucas Johnson (both ESP) finished 21 st after a routing mistake.
13 th place just for Brazilians Guiga Spinelli and Yousseff Haddad showed that the MINI ALL4 Racing remains a fast car within the desert, despite now being in the tenth year. Orlando Terranova plus Ronnie Graue (both ARG), plus Vladimir Vasilyev (RUS) and Dmitry Tsyro (UKR) ended leg 3 in 23 rd and 24 th place in the SMALL JCW Rally. The Russian partnering of Victor Khoroshavtsev and Anton Nikolaev finished 26 th to claim their finest stage result so far.
After four days of rallying, Peterhansel and Boulanger hold the overall prospect, courtesy of their consistency to this point. Beginning with second place, the MINI JCW Buggy crew initially lost terrain after picking up a puncture on stony ground. However , they then negotiated the rest of the kilometres without any problems and quickly worked their way back into 3rd place.
Team-mate Carlos Sainz was in contention at the start from the stage, but went the wrong way regarding 156 kilometres in and consequently dropped roughly 30 minutes on the leaders. Consequently, they had to settle for 21 st place on nowadays stage.
Stéphane Peterhansel: “There had been a lot of big stones at the start. Once we suffered a puncture after about fifteen kilometres, I decided to drive a bit more cautiously afterwards. Then came valleys, beautiful dunes and a fast level. It was not a boring leg. The particular puncture means I am not completely happy with the result. However , the Pushchair was super and Edouard does a great job. ”
Carlos Sainz: “That was not a good day. There were problems finding a waypoint and consequently dropped more than half an hour. That is a lot, and it is a great pity. However , there is nothing we are able to do about it now. We will drive on and see what is still feasible. ”
Guiga Spinelli: “I feel very happy. We started from a much better position today which caused it to be easier for us to overtake our rivals. Plus, we just had one puncture. We had the consistently good speed from begin to finish. ”
The particular Dakar caravan now moves on towards the Saudi capital, Riyadh. At a complete 813 kilometres, tomorrow’s leg will be the longest of this year’s Dakar. Nevertheless , only 337 kilometres are contrary to the clock.
Result of SS3
1 . N. Al-Attiyah (QAT) and M. Baumel (FRA) – Toyota – 3h 17m 39s
2 . H. Lategan (RSA) / B. Cummings (RSA) – Toyota – 3h 20m 06s
3. Ersus. Peterhansel (FRA) / E. Boulanger (FRA) – MINI JCW Pushchair – 3h 21m 44s
4. Y. Seaidan (KSA) / A, Kuzmich (RUS) – Century – 3h 24m 48s
5. E. Al Qassimi (UAE) / By. Panseri (FRA) – Peugeot – 3h 24m 48s
thirteen. G. Spinelli (BRA) / Con. Haddad (BRA) – MINI ALL4 Racing – 3h 43m 29s
21. C. Sainz /ESP) / L. Cruz (ESP) – MINI JCW Buggy – 3h 48m 41s
23. O. Terranova (ARG) or R. Graue (ARG) – SMALL JCW Rally – 3h 49m13s
twenty-four. V. Vasilyev (RUS) / Deb. Tsyro (UKR) – MINI JCW Rally – 3h 50m 01s
26. V. Khoroshavtsev (RUS) / A. Nikolaev (RUS) – MINI JCW Rally – 3h 54m 04s
Overall rankings after SS3
1 . S. Peterhansel (FRA) / E. Boulanger (FRA) – MINI JCW Buggy – 10h 39m 02s
2 . N. Al-Attiyah (QAT) and M. Baumel (FRA) – Toyota – 10h 44m 11s
3. M. Serradori (FRA) / F. Lurquin (BEL) – Century – 11h 05m 23s
4. Chemical. Sainz /ESP) / L. Jones (ESP) – MINI JCW Pushchair – 11h 12m 36s
5. J. Przygonski (POL) / T. Gottschalk (GER) – Toyota – 11h 23m 24s
14. O. Terranova (ARG) / R. Graue (ARG) – MINI JCW Rally – 11h 51m 25s
15. V. Vasilyev (RUS) / D. Tsyro (UKR) – MINI JCW Rally – 11h 54m 32s
22. G. Spinelli (BRA) / Y. Haddad (BRA) – MINI ALL4 Racing – 12h 19m 23s
29. V. Khoroshavtsev (RUS) or A. Nikolaev (RUS) – SMALL JCW Rally – 12h 44m 35s