Just in time for the Mustang’s large double-nickel birthday this week, Ford introduced a new 2 . 3L High Performance Deal available on the 2020 Ford Mustang, which leans on the expertise associated with Ford Performance engineers and the abundant Mustang GT performance bits within the parts bin to create the “most powerful four-cylinder sports car offered by a north american automaker. ”
It’s not just the horsepower gains within the standard 2 . 3-liter EcoBoost, it is the broader torque curve… — Carl Widmann, Mustang Chief Professional
That energy is projected at 330 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque, that is 10 more horsepower than the regular EcoBoost 2 . 3-liter thanks the revised four-cylinder engine built only for the Mustangs. Five engineers started the development by swapping the Focus RS engine into a mule, and eventually traveled to Valencia, The country of spain, to develop this new engine. Inside 10 months, the package came to be.
“The Ford Performance Concentrate RS 2 . 3-liter engine is really a high-revving marvel, and anyone who is driven this EcoBoost engine immediately loves how quickly it reacts and delivers power, ” Carl Widmann, Mustang chief engineer, mentioned. “When our team got the chance to do this specially built engine in a Mustang, we immediately agreed, ‘We need to do this. ’”
Key to this new motor package is a die-cast alloy prevent and high-performance cylinder head. Engineers furthermore increased the turbocharger size simply by five percent courtesy of a larger 63-millimeter twin-scroll unit. In all cars pre-loaded with the 2. 3L High Performance Package speed up from 0-60 in the mid-4-second variety and run to a top speed associated with 155 mph, which is 10 with faster than the previous EcoBoost Functionality Package and a whopping 34 with faster than a base car.
“It’s not just the gains in horsepower over the standard 2 . 3-liter EcoBoost, it’s the broader torque contour that delivers 90 percent associated with peak torque between 2, five hundred and 5, 300 rpm, that is 40 percent wider than the bottom EcoBoost engine, ” said Widmann. “Plus, horsepower holds stronger to the 6, 500-rpm redline – allowing more usable power and rpm for enthusiasts and weekend autocrossers to enjoy. ”
Of course , what good is certainly 143 horsepower per liter in case you can’t put it to use, and Ford technical engineers had that in mind when rotating out the package. Playing over the lighter EcoBoost Mustang’s 53/47 bodyweight distribution, they tuned up the suspension system to make this package shine between autocross cones. It receives framework bracing, stiffer sway bars, larger brakes, and larger wheels along with stickier tires (see sidebar).
For increased corner carving abilities, you can increase a 2020 Mustang with the second . 3L High Performance Package by adding the optionally available EcoBoost Handling Package. It more sharpens this Mustang’s grip, braking system, and precision with better disc brake pads, an unique MagneRide damper calibration, the TORSEN limited-slip diff, and a heavier rear sway bar.
If this sounds like the car for you, anticipate the 2020 Ford Mustang along with 2 . 3L High Performance Package hitting dealer lots this fall.
2020 Mustang EcoBoost High-Performance Package Features
• 2 . 3L Top rated Package side badges
• 3. 55: 1 limited-slip rear axle
• 21. 7mm rear sway pub
• 32mm front side sway bar
• 63mm twin-scroll turbo compressor
• 19×9-inch machined-face aluminium wheels
• 255/40R summer tires
• Blacked-out grille with offset Mustang tri-bar pony emblem
• Ford Performance 2 . 3-liter EcoBoost engine
• Fully active quad-tip exhaust system using a signature tuned sound
• Larger radiator
• Magnetic Gray side decorative mirrors
• Metallic grey stripe crosses the hood
• Mustang GT thirteen. 9-inch front brakes with four-piston calipers
• Mustang GT Performance Package chassis plus aerodynamics hardware
• Mustang GT Performance Package front side splitter, belly pan, and braking system cooling ramps from the
• High-performance calibration
• Raised-blade rear spoiler
• Serialized dash back plate
• Strut tower system brace
EcoBoost Handling Package Option
• 19×9. 5-inch superior painted aluminum wheels with 265/40R Pirelli P Zero™ Corsa4 summer season tires
• 24mm solid rear sway bar
• Semi-metallic brake pads
• Specially calibrated MagneRide dampers
• TORSEN® 3. 55: 1 limited-slip back axle